|INTRODUCTION TO GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS|
This specialised short course is an introduction to Geographical Information Systems (GIS) for individuals who are involved directly or indirectly with the management of natural resources. The training allows learners to develop
basic competency in the use and application of GIS which can be applied directly in their work situation. The software used for the training is ArcView 3.3 and extensive practical exercises are offered through a logical manner to the fundamentals of the software and its application to spatial analysis. A practical in the use of GPS data collection is included. The trainee will learn how to create data dictionaries, collect data in the field, download it into GIS format and to derive information from it.
At the end of this module the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate a basic understanding and use of GIS as a support tool
- Demonstrate a basic understanding and use of GPS and its application in field work and data capture
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of Remote Sensing and it’s application within GIS
- Demonstrate competency in the basic practical use of ArcView GIS 3.3
- Demonstrate a basic understanding and use of working with databases – attribute data
- Create, edit and manage spatial data
- Create basic illustrative and informative map documents
- Introduction to Arcview
- Theme properties & display
- Presentation of data
- Tabular display & Editing
- Map projections
- Data sources & input
- Creating & Editing Shape files
- Spatial analyses
- Vector & raster based analyses
- Map lay outs
DURATION & COSTS
Quote on request (includes: accommodation, meals, course manual)
WHAT TO BRING
Computers are provided on the course for the duration of the training, but we encourage participants to bring their own laptop and GPS receiver if they have available. Due to software licensing, the software will be loaded onto the participant’s laptop for the duration of the course only. The cost of the course does not include the software.
WHO CAN ATTEND?
This training deals with introductory concepts in the field of GIS. Anyone interested in understanding and applying basic GIS applications can attend the course. Applicants must have a knowledge, comprehension and application of English and must be computer literate. This includes having a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suit as well as Microsoft Windows operating system.
Back to Short Courses